Butternut Squash, Green Olive, Kale and White Bean Stew
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 3 1/4- to 3 1/2-pound butternut squash, peeled, seeded, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 red bell peppers, seeded, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 large bunches kale, thick stems trimmed, leaves cut crosswise into 2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon dried rubbed sage
- 3 15-ounce cans cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted, halved
- Freshly grated Romano cheese, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic; sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add squash; sauté Add bell peppers and stir to coat with onion mixture. Add broth. Cover and simmer until squash is just tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix kale and sage into stew. Cover and cook until kale wilts, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add beans and olives and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer stew to large shallow bowl. Sprinkle generously with cheese.