1 lb of clams
1 lb of shrimp
1 lb small scallops
1 green bell pepper
1 can of small diced tomatoes
4 garlic cloves minced
Saffon 1 pinch
Pimenton or smoked paprika 1 teaspoon
Spicy pimenton or cayenne (optional) ½ teaspoon
Tumeric (optional) 1 pinch
Rice: bomba or medium size 2 cups
Fish broth (4 cups) see recipe in directions.
Salt & pepper
It is important to use a Paella pan or a flat wide base pan, a cast iron pan is good too.
You need to make the fish broth first. This is a quick way to do it: In a pot add 4 ½ cups of water, salt, the clams (previously clean and scrubbed) and a pinch of saffron. Bring to a boil. Remove the clams when open. Set them aside. Remove broth from heat. Reserve.
- Heat olive oil (2 tablespoons)
- Add Peeled shrimp, salt, cookthe each side until pink. Remove them from pan.Set apart.
- Add onion cook 5 min or until translucent, add diced bell pepper and garlic. Cook for another 10 min.
- Add diced tomatoes and all spices. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes. That’s the Sofrito.
- Add rice and mix well with the Sofrito.
- Add broth, shrimp, clams and scallops, (salt and pepper to taste) .
- Cook at mediun heat for 5 minutes, then cover and cook to low heat until rice absorbed all broth.
- Remove when done and let it rest cover for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a wedge of lemon.