Back to Recipes
Makes 16 brownies
These brownies are moist and packed with chocolate flavor, but they won't crumble when you cut them. In fact, they hold up well enough to pack in a child's lunchbox or bring to a picnic or bake sale. They're pretty good at home, too, with a tall glass of milk. Sprinkling the nuts over the brownie batter (rather than folding them into the batter) ensures that they toast and become crisp in the oven. A quick caramel topping makes these brownies irresistible.
3 ounces unsweetened chocolate , chopped
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick) , cut into chunks
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon table salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
For the Topping
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 8-inch baking dish with foil and coat foil with cooking spray.
2. Melt chocolate and butter in small bowl in microwave or in heatproof bowl set over pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally to combine. Cool mixture for several minutes.
3. Whisk sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, and vanilla together in medium bowl until combined, about 15 seconds. Whisk in chocolate mixture until smooth. Stir in flour until no streaks of flour remain. Scrape batter evenly into prepared pan and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
4. Bake until toothpick inserted halfway between edge and center of pan comes out clean, 22 to 27 minutes. Cool brownies on wire rack to room temperature, about 2 hours.
For the Topping
5. Bring brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup to simmer in small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and cool until barely warm, about 10 minutes. Pour caramel mixture over brownies and spread evenly with spatula. Refrigerate until topping firms up, about 40 minutes.
6. Using foil, lift brownies from pan to cutting board. Slide foil out from under brownies and cut brownies into 2-inch squares. (Brownies can be stored in airtight container for several days.)