Back to Recipes
Gary Gross submitted a recipe to Bob at Hamburger Ranch in Cloverdale to come up with a delicious pairing for our Mother Clone Zinfandel.
Serves 11 (1 cup servings)
- 5 slices bacon
- ½ pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 red onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 8 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 2 links of cooked andouille sausage (diced)
- 1 link of cooked Italian sausage (diced)
- In large nonstick pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove to paper towels, crumble, set aside,
- In same pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté mushrooms, garlic, and onion until tender about 7 minutes.
- Add thyme, broth, bay leaf, carrots, sweet potatoes and barley, Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and cook 25 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender. Season to taste, remove bay leaf. If too thick, add more broth.
- Add cooked diced sausages and warm through.
To serve, sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
For vegetarian option omit bacon & sausages and use vegetable broth.
Pedroncelli Winery ~ A Sonoma County Tradition Since 1927