Back to Recipes
My favorite go-to recipe site: www.chow.com/recipes
Makes 8 shish kebabs
- 3 large garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 2 small shallots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for coating the grill
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (1-inch-thick steak), cut into 1-inch chunks
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 1 large red onion, trimmed and cut into thin wedges
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish (optional)
- Put the garlic, shallot, lemongrass, brown sugar, fish sauce, soy sauce, measured oil, and a few grinds of pepper in a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides. Transfer to a bowl or baking dish and add the pork, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for indirect-heat grilling over medium heat. Remove the pork from the marinade and thread it onto the skewers with the red onion, distributing the ingredients evenly between skewers.
- Brush and oil the grill grate. Grill the kebabs over the hottest part of the grill, turning once, until the meat is nicely charred, about 6 minutes. Move to the other side of the grill, cover, and continue to cook until the meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes more. Transfer to a platter, garnish with cilantro if you like, and serve.
Pedroncelli Winery ~ A Sonoma County Tradition Since 1927