Cheesy Tomato Dip
- 2 French baguettes, sliced on the diagonal
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/4 cups Mozzarella cheese, freshly grated
- 3/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese or Neufchatel, room temperature
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425º F.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, 2 tablespoons olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl and toss together until everything is thoroughly coated.
- Transfer tomato mixture to an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and place in oven.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, tossing in the middle, until tomatoes are charred.
- In a bowl or mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth, then mix in mozzarella and parmesan.
- Remove tomatoes and garlic from oven and let cool 5-10 minutes. Transfer to food processor, add basil, and pulse until smooth. 30-45 seconds.
- Fold pureed tomatoes into blended cheeses and pour into individual ramekins or a large skillet.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly.
- While dip is in the oven, brush baguette slices with remaining olive oil.
- Remove dip from oven and turn broiler on high.
- Place bread slices directly on oven rack and toast for 2-3 minutes. Keep an eye on them as they burn easily.
- Transfer bread slices to serving plate and serve hot with dip.
A tasty appetizer anytime of the year but especially the cooler months.